How to Make Curried Chicken Gravy Sauce
Most of the time, I cook tomato based or vegetable sauces to go with rice, pasta, potatoes or whatever carb we're having for dinner. It wasn't until we went to a friend's recently for a meal that I remembered gravy sauces. So after many years of not making it, this was the recipe I came up with.
3 cups of long-grain rice
1 pack of Chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon of powdered curry
2 Teaspoon of dry pepper
4 Knorr Chicken cubes
Salt and Spices to Taste
A - CHICKEN AND STOCK
1. Wash the chicken, and put on the stove with just one cup of water.
2. Add salt, two cubes of knorr and spices to taste.
3. Set the heat to medium and cook for 20 mins. The Chicken is not fully done but that is OK.
4. Remove the meat from stock and set the liquid aside, that is your stock.
5. Put the chicken on a baking tray. Always remember to apply cooking spray to your oven-proof dishes.
6. Pop in the oven and set to grill/roast at low for 10mins.
8. Turn over once and remove from the oven when they are done.
B - PARBOILING AND COOKING THE RICE
1. Set 5 cups of water to boil, or enough to cover your rice twice.
2. When it boils, pour the rice in and allow to boil again.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins.
4. Remove from heat and pour the rice into a colander with small sized holes.
5. Turn the rice into a container filled with cold water, and sieve again.
6. Repeat this, rubbing the rice lightly between your fingers until it feels starch-free.
7. Put water in a large pot and bring to boil.
8. Add the washed rice
9. When the rice is cooked - some know by sticking in a knife or listening to the bottom of the pot. If the knife is dry, or you can hear some pops from the pot, the rice is done - turn off the heat.
C - CURRIED CHICKEN GRAVY SAUCE
1. Scrape the drippings from the roasted chicken into a pot.
2. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth paste.
3. Over medium heat, continue to cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes
4. Pour in the chicken stock slowly to the flour mixture, whisking the whole time. You want to incorporate the broth into the flour mixture without lumps forming.
5. Add the curry, dry pepper, and knorr cubes and salt and spices to taste.
6. Allow the gravy to come to a slow boil over medium heat.
7. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes on low heat until the gravy is thickened.
8. Remove from heat.
Serve the curried gravy with the rice and chicken, and maybe some vegetables like the broccoli in the picture.