How to Make Couscous and Shrimp Salad
Couscous is one of those side dishes I go for when I want a quick and easy dinner. Like rice, it goes with most soups, stews, and sauces and better than rice, it cooks in just 5 minutes. It is also lighter than rice and much healthier, unless you're using brown rice.
For those who are not familiar with couscous but may know semolina, they are one and the same. Couscous is semolina in grains rather than floury as we use in eating our soups. In the grainy couscous form, you serve with vegetables, stewed meat and lots of spices, as couscous can be a bit bland otherwise. Put on top, or mix together to make a salad, like this recipe.
200g instant couscous
1 teaspoon of butter
3 table spoon vegetable oil
1 pack of frozen cooked shrimp, defrosted
4 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
1/2 a meduim onion, sliced
1 habanero pepper or ground pepper
1/2 a pack of frozen spinach
1 knorr chicken cube
Salt and spices, to taste
1. Pour water into a saucepan, add the butter, a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir with a fork.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. Put the oil in a pot and heat till lightly smoking,
5. Add your chopped tomatoes, pepper and onions. Stir fry for two minutes.
6. Add your shrimp and stir till the oil is bubbling again.
7. Add the knorr, salt, spices and then finally spinach, stirring regularly.
8. Pour in the couscous and stir till well mixed.
Your food is ready in 15 minutes or less.