Boiled Potatoes With Celery and Tomato Stew
I love vegetable sauces, I like that between 15 - 25 minutes I have a ready meal when I need it. I can either stir-fry, fry, steam or just saute a mix of my choice of vegetables and voila! Food is ready. Celery is one of those vegetables I got introduced to after I left Nigeria, and I fell in love with it's refreshing taste and flavor. I had to be sure how it is cooked, and unlike most vegetables, this actually requires 15 - 20 minutes to be well cooked.
To make this stew, you need the following;
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
A small bunch of celery stalks with some hearts if possible. Washed and sliced
Four medium sized tomatoes, chopped
Half a medium sized onion, sliced
Salt and spices to taste.
1. Heat your vegetable oil till lightly smoking.
2. Pour in the celery and allow to cook for five minutes
3. Add the chopped onion and saute the pieces with the celery. If you like, add some of the spices now.
4. After another 5 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes.
5. Stir in salt and ground pepper to taste.
6. Continue stirring for the next 10 minutes on medium heat. Simmer until the vegetables are tender - a total of about 20 to 25 minutes.
There are two ways to prepare boiled potatoes, either in the back, or peeled.
To boil in the back,
1. Wash thoroughly to avoid sand or any debris.
2. Cut one medium or large-sized potato into 3 - 5 pieces
3. Put in a pot with enough water to cover it, add a pinch of salt and boil for 10 - 15mins. Remove from heat.
4. The potato rind is edible but if you prefer, peel it off and serve.
To peel before cooking.
1. Remove the rind with a peeler.
2. Dice the plantain into as many pieces as you want.
3. Put in a pot with enough water to cover it, add a pinch of salt and boil for 20mins. Remove from heat.
4. Serve with your choice of sauce.
On this occasion, I garnished the meal with roasted chicken and drizzled it all over with grated cheese. It was yum-yum.